When you think of a white Christmas, do you envision sand between your toes—not snow on your rooftop? If so, then you’ll need to decorate appropriately, meaning hanging wreaths of palm fronds and dressing pineapples with sunglasses. For those of you who pack up your RV and go south to tropical destinations for the holidays, don’t even think of using your regular holiday decorations at your campsite. Give your southern holiday some tropical flair with these Christmas decoration ideas that are more fun and sun than holly and jolly.
Hang a Seaside Wreath
Whether you plan to hang a wreath on your RV’s door(s), on the front end cap, or on an interior wall, you have to give one (or more) of these tropical wreath ideas a try! Start with a wreath shape that is made of driftwood, sticks, or other natural-looking material if you want the frame of it to show through. If you plan to cover it entirely with beachy décor, then you can choose a foam wreath as the foundation. Here are some ideas:
- Cover a foam wreath entirely with different-sized shells and starfish
- Overlap tropical leaves, like Fan Palm, Bird of Paradise, Rubber Fig Tree, or Fancy-Leaf Caladium, all around a wreath shape
- On a plain green wreath that is made of tropical leaves, add in some red hibiscus
- Attach a few large starfish to a bare driftwood wreath
- Cover the bottom half of a grapevine wreath with tropical flowers and leaves
- Cover a foam wreath with colorful drink umbrellas that are fanned open
- Using burlap and ribbons in nautical colors or patterns, cover the wreath frame by tying and wrapping them around it. Then add a nautical plaque to the middle of it that has a nautical saying or shape on it.
Not Your Typical Christmas Tree
Even a blue spruce or Douglas fir can look tropical with the right decorations on it! Transform your tree into a tropical focal point in your RV (or under your patio awning) with these coastal ideas:
- String a cluster of bright tropical flowers around it in a circular design from top to bottom, kind of resembling a lei
- Cover a traditional green Christmas tree from top to bottom in shell ornaments and other beachy décor
- Decorate a palm tree (real or fake) with mini lights and a few ornaments
- Think tropical with your homemade glass bulb ornaments by painting a beachy item on each one (flamingos, palm trees, shells, starfish, flowers, mermaids, boats, etc.)
- Fill clear glass bulbs with sand, small pieces of driftwood, shells, etc., then tie raffia on top to hang it from
- A pineapple as a Christmas tree? Of course! Hang some miniature ornaments from the leaves, slap some sunglasses on it, and make it the centerpiece of your dinette or picnic table. What a fun conversation piece!
Deck your RV’s halls with all things tropical and coastal this year with these ideas:
- Fill a Mason jar with some sand, a few shells, and a string of mini lights for a dazzling tabletop decoration
- Hang strands of lights inside your RV or from your patio awning in seaside shapes, like pineapples, palm trees, shells, fish, flamingos, etc.
- Decorate the inside of your RV with nautical garland
- Make a tree skirt from fabric that has a nautical design
- Buy a few throw pillows for your sofa, chairs, or bed that have a beach-inspired print on them
If you’re planning a tropical Christmas this year in your RV, deck your halls with beachy décor that says Christmas Is Better at the Beach! Come see us at RV World for the perfect RV to take on your holiday trip! Our travel trailers, fifth wheels, and toy haulers all have the lowest prices in the nation, GUARANTEED!