It’s a popular idea you’ve probably seen floating around various crafting websites for years now, and now that it’s prime pumpkin season, it’s time to try it out! These pretty colorful crayon pumpkins are a fun and different way to decorate for fall! A little bit of effort and some fun steps produce a neat, colorful pumpkin that you’ll love displaying for everyone to admire! This is a fun project for kids to help with! Let them pick their colors and they’ll be excited for the finished product! Here’s how to decorate these awesome colorful crayon decorated pumpkins!
What You’ll Need:
- A white pumpkin, or an orange one if you can’t find a white one (must be a real pumpkin, not artificial!)
- White acrylic paint (if you could not find a white pumpkin)
- Tacky glue
- Blow dryer
- Trash bags, a tarp, or a large cardboard box
- First, give your pumpkin a good wash, making sure to get any dirt and debris completely off.
- After your pumpkin is completely dry, apply a coat of white acrylic paint over the entirety of the pumpkin. Allow to dry, and apply another coat. Repeat until desired opaqueness is achieved, about 2-3 coats. (Skip this step if you purchased a white pumpkin!)
- Choose crayon colors of choice and remove the wrappers.
- Once the paint has dried, use the tacky glue to stick the unwrapped crayons in a circle around the stem of the pumpkin. You’ll want just a little bit of space between each crayon to prevent them from melting together and blending colors, so adjust the number of crayons accordingly!
- If you are doing this craft outside, cover your work surface with a tarp or trash bags (or both) and choose a spot near an outlet! If doing this craft inside, put your pumpkin inside a large cardboard box to avoid splattering melted crayon everywhere!
- Once the glue has dried, use your hair dryer on high heat to melt the crayons! Use a little bit of strategy when melting, focusing on one or two colors at a time to avoid extreme splattering and smooth, separate melting! You don’t want to melt all the colors into a goopy, monotone, Pinterest-fail mess!
- Let the crayon cool and dry completely, then remove from tarp or box. Place pumpkin wherever you please, and step back to admire your handiwork!
This fun project is sure to be a hit this fall! It’ll add a little bit of personal flair to your decorations, as you can use any colors you like to get a little variation from the standard orange and brown of fall!! Get the whole family to use crayons to decorate pumpkins and display them for everyone to appreciate! Have you tried this fun pumpkin decorating method before? Share your techniques, helpful hints, or funny mishaps in the comments!