Just because you’re camping doesn’t mean you have to leave comfort foods at home! Try out this fantastic campfire mac and cheese which is sure to be a huge hit with your family! It’s great for picky eaters, and is easy to make ahead so you can just toss it over the fire and have ooey, gooey cheesy noodles within minutes! Let your little campers help assemble these great little mac and cheese bowls for a fun and tasty activity! Get creative and add any tasty addition you’d like to make this cheesy dish your own! Let’s get cooking!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 C. cooked pasta
- 1 C. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 C. milk
- 1/4 C. parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper
- 4 aluminum mini pie tins, or one large aluminum pie tin
- Aluminum foil
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse, and let cool.
- Spray each pie tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place about 1/4 of all ingredients in each mini tin, and stir to mix ingredients up. Or, if using one large pie tin, put all of the ingredients in and stir well.
- Spray nonstick cooking spray onto the aluminum foil piece(s) and cover the pie tin(s), securing the edges.
- Bake on campfire cooking coals for about 7-10 minutes, or until cheese is nice and melty.
- Allow a minute or two for the packet to cool. Uncover, give the mac and cheese a good stir, and enjoy!
Don't forget dessert! Assemble these delicious blackberry campfire cobblers and place them over the hot coals when you take the campfire mac 'n cheese off so that they can bake while you enjoy dinner!
Instead of cooking everything at your campsite, you can simplify the process by cooking the pasta ahead of time and mix with a small amount of olive oil to keep it from sticking. Or for ultimate efficiency, assemble these packets at home, cover, and bring along with you! Just be sure to let the pasta cool completely before assembling packets, and cover! Take a peek before putting on the campfire to make sure that all the milk hasn’t been absorbed!
You’ll never feel far from home when you cook up a batch of this incredible campfire mac and cheese! It’s sure to be a family favorite that will be requested on every camping trip! It’s so easy and fun that you’ll happily oblige, especially if the kiddos help out! Feel free to experiment with different types of cheeses and toppings to make this mac and cheese just the way you want it! What are your favorite cheeses, and what toppings would you put on your campfire mac and cheese? Comment with your tasty suggestions!